A small fire broke out in one of the operating rooms at Community Hospital at around 6:30am this morning (11/25/13). According to the Fire Department, the fire was started by an autoclave (sterilizing instrument) motor. While the fire produced a lot of smoke, the FD was able to put the fire out very quickly. The fire was contained to the point of origin (one OR).
Community Hospital staff handled the incident efficiently and effectively by immediately initiating a lockdown to secure all hospital doors so the fire could not spread. No patients were in the area at the time of the fire. The FD is estimating an initial damage to be around $25K.
Please contact me on my cell if you have any additional questions.
~ Karen Martsolf